Facebook      

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate to say this but.......

Alright I know everone is pissed and maybe you have a good reason to be annoyed but let me explain something. What just happened had absolutely nothing to do with inferior servers, it didn't have to do with bad programming, it had to do with sheer volume.

Have any of you ever heard of a DOS attack? Stands for denial of service, as few as 100 computers (probably less now) can bring servers like Google and Yahoo to their knees and those guys have fuckin server farms.

So lets do the math here, there were lets say at least 100 people online at the end. Many of you spamming your cruise buttons and hi'ing, refreshing the lists. In other words sending thousands of commands at that server per second. Also keep in mind that TS is up and running on the same server and it happens to be circuit time there, so there is a higher than normal TS load. This is in essence a denial of service attack, you beat the server so hard that others can't get in.

Does it suck? Yeah it sucks, particularly for those of you that spent at the end and couldn't use the creds. Rachael by the numbers I saw from her working likely would have won, my money was on her.

Is it or should it be a big surprise? Nope not at all.

Is it Ray or Crescents fault? No not really, yeah they could invest a shitload of cash into a server farm (far more than MC would ever make on what it charges) and many of you likely would have had the same problems.

It sucks but crying for their heads or blaming them isn't right. YOU caused the problems, you had to to take your shot at winning but that doesn't change the fact that you guys brought it to a crawl by spamming. All of you get together and do the same thing to any site and I can almost guarantee the same results.

cool, someone who while i dont totally agree, made a post thats not just wahh wahh wahh Smile

nah

sumthign needs to be done still

calder12 Wrote:Alright I know everone is pissed and maybe you have a good reason to be annoyed but let me explain something. What just happened had absolutely nothing to do with inferior servers, it didn't have to do with bad programming, it had to do with sheer volume.

Have any of you ever heard of a DOS attack? Stands for denial of service, as few as 100 computers (probably less now) can bring servers like Google and Yahoo to their knees and those guys have fuckin server farms.

So lets do the math here, there were lets say at least 100 people online at the end. Many of you spamming your cruise buttons and hi'ing, refreshing the lists. In other words sending thousands of commands at that server per second. Also keep in mind that TS is up and running on the same server and it happens to be circuit time there, so there is a higher than normal TS load. This is in essence a denial of service attack, you beat the server so hard that others can't get in.

Does it suck? Yeah it sucks, particularly for those of you that spent at the end and couldn't use the creds. Rachael by the numbers I saw from her working likely would have won, my money was on her.

Is it or should it be a big surprise? Nope not at all.

Is it Ray or Crescents fault? No not really, yeah they could invest a shitload of cash into a server farm (far more than MC would ever make on what it charges) and many of you likely would have had the same problems.

It sucks but crying for their heads or blaming them isn't right. YOU caused the problems, you had to to take your shot at winning but that doesn't change the fact that you guys brought it to a crawl by spamming. All of you get together and do the same thing to any site and I can almost guarantee the same results.

This doesn't make it right! Don't build a game if it can't be used!

It's BS...sheer and utter BULLSH!T
MC's Most Hated

well said...i totally agree (to calders post)
what the deuce?!

i agree! :oops:

At least you acknowledged the reason I am so angry which is that I would have won. If not me Shane, but one of us would have won this game period at the end and guess what we get for all of our had work this month
NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MC's Most Hated

stop bitchin rachael its not the admins fault that this game is so popular
what the deuce?!

Ok So the 100 ppl requesting pages on MC and the prob 50 ppl on topshift
Was to much traffic.

In other words you admit the server or there connection sucks.

I cant belive they dont bring in enogh money to handle the traffic.
Battered

It can be used.

The MC PLAYERS asked for working to make more money, you got what you asked for and yet again bitch about the results. I think it was overlooked the possiblities that could arise from doing it like cruise spamming by 100 people at once but still what exactly did you all expect, for crying out loud you know damn well that spamming slows the game down, and it is a good idea for everyone to do it all at once?

If you're gonna argue points use your head first, understand what you are dealing with before screaming that they screwed you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  a new lvl of hate hwnplaya 12 3,602 04-28-2008, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Benton08
  DONT HATE! PANDAhumpnMONKEY 10 2,827 03-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Last Post: PANDAhumpnMONKEY
  Hate Mail!! PANDAhumpnMONKEY 9 2,724 01-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Last Post: PANDAhumpnMONKEY
  hate mail Restricted 31 7,534 12-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Last Post: monteman
  X-Mas Hate Mail! PANDAhumpnMONKEY 4 1,533 12-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Last Post: ehja
  You might be loser IF: or why I hate the forums Dyna 42 10,022 12-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Last Post: mSzura
  More hate Mail... A_n_i_M_a_L_ 15 4,390 11-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Last Post: LuDe
  hate mail domesticabus 4 1,761 11-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Black__Metal
  My very 1st hate mail... LOL!! A_n_i_M_a_L_ 17 4,603 11-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Last Post: A_n_i_M_a_L_
  HATE MAIL liGHts_OUt_spEEd 3 1,283 11-16-2005, 01:18 AM
Last Post: Black__Metal

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon