Facebook      

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riddle me this... riddle me that....

If an airplane is on a large conveyor belt and is trying to take off by exerting the thrust needed to move it forward at 100 knots, and the conveyor belt starts moving backwards at 100 knots, will the plane be able to take off, or will it just sit stationary relative to the ground, with the backwards speed of the conveyor belt counteracting the forward thrust of the plane?

What walks on four legs in the morning...two in the afternoon...and three in the evening?
-=Damant Quod Non Intellegunt=-

^^^

a human

crawls
walks
uses a cane
Wink

admin Wrote:If an airplane is on a large conveyor belt and is trying to take off by exerting the thrust needed to move it forward at 100 knots, and the conveyor belt starts moving backwards at 100 knots, will the plane be able to take off, or will it just sit stationary relative to the ground, with the backwards speed of the conveyor belt counteracting the forward thrust of the plane?

When an airplane takes off, there is one major forward force… the forward thrust. The main rearward force is air resistance. The turning of the wheels provides a small frictional force, but because the wheels are free-rolling, this friction is very small. Unless the wheels are locked, the friction is always going to be less than the thrust, which means that the overall force is still forward, and the plane WILL STILL MOVE!!:eek:

Yeah, I would have about the same response, if it was a car it'd be a totally different situation.
Miss Kelly

easier terms, the thrust needed to make the play go 100 knots is greater than 100 knots.

I don't think there'd be much force against the plane from the wheel resistance against the conveyor belt. So force needed to push the plane forward at 100 knots on a normal runway wouldn't be much different than it would with the conveyor belt.
Miss Kelly

admin Wrote:If an airplane is on a large conveyor belt and is trying to take off by exerting the thrust needed to move it forward at 100 knots, and the conveyor belt starts moving backwards at 100 knots, will the plane be able to take off, or will it just sit stationary relative to the ground, with the backwards speed of the conveyor belt counteracting the forward thrust of the plane?

the plane has to have lift, so the plane will just stay in the same spot and not take off
ill bring you hell

D1STURB3D Wrote:the plane has to have lift, so the plane will just stay in the same spot and not take off

Why would the plane stay in the same spot?
Miss Kelly

the plane is going 100knots forward and the conveyer belt is going 100knots backwards = 0knots

it cant fly at all
ill bring you hell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Riddle me this... winterfell 3 1,181 03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bscrzymn2k6

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon